Intern

The "Productive"

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Don't Read This Boss


I've recently started working at lololololol as a Software Engineer Co-op, and here's the thing: I HAVE A LOT OF FREE TIME! To be completely honest, I find this to be both a blessing and a curse. Everyday, I feign productivity by having an ungodly amount of tabs opened on my browser while maintaining the ratio of work related tabs to non-work related tabs 1:1 for continuity purposes. I must admit, it felt liberating at first to be able to browse Reddit, watch work-related Youtube videos when actually listening to Mac Miller's new album, embellish my LinkedIn profile, and read the Wikipedia page of almost every musician in the 27 club. To be clear, this is not to say that I'm a slacker or that my boss is apathetic. In fact, we're both complete opposites of those descriptions. It ultimately boils down to working at a large plant and the red tape that comes with it. Getting projects approved and gaining access to company technologies is not as easy as 1, 2, 3 unfortunately. Let's just say the process takes longer than the time it takes for most bills to be passed by Congress. And although my boss strives to find as many mini projects/tasks for me to work on, it simply does not fully satisfy my hunger. Even aimlessly browsing the web in the hopes of making the clock tick faster doesn't really work anymore. That is why today, I want to start doing something with longevity and purpose. Heck, I haven't even written a paragraph this long in three years, and right now I'm suddenly reminded of the therapeutic effect it had always had on me! I guess engineering schools have a knack for sucking the souls of innocent young minds. Anyway, I plan on writing consistent blogs about my work experience to not only sustain my sanity, but to hopefully provide some pointers to those that are planning out their future careers, or (inclusive (sorry but I'm a CS major)) to simply sympathize with those who can relate.

No comments:

Post a Comment